We’re hiring a sound designer / mix engineer to help create our distinctive sounding shows.
Western Sound is a podcast production company based in Los Angeles. We’re hiring a full-time sound designer / mix engineer with a proven track record of working independently and making creative & compelling shows that surprise and delight.
This sound designer / mix engineer will work on all of our shows composing original music; using music, sfx, and plug-ins to create engaging sound design; cleaning up field tape; and mastering complicated sessions into perfect final mixes.
We’re looking for someone who’s inventive, has an ear for stellar sound, is technically proficient, and who’s looking for an opportunity to collaborate deeply with some very smart storytellers. We’ll be relying on you and your creativity to make everything sound great. Post-pandemic, you’ll also be in charge of running our studio, whenever that may be.
Western Sound is a small team that works very closely together, so there will be lots of opportunities to grow, learn and collaborate. To get a sense of the shows we make, check out a few episodes of The Score: Bank Robber Diaries and British Villains.
Folx from diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- You have 3-5 years experience mixing and mastering music, podcasts and/or other audio
- You’re comfortable taking feedback from a team and interpreting their notes to dial-in the perfect sound design and bounce
- You’re organized and detail-oriented, and your file management skills are top notch
- You’re very communicative and can work independently
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge and helping others learn Pro Tools tricks and best practices
- You can effectively juggle multiple deadlines, and you know how to prioritize short-term and long-term work
- You’re a natural collaborator and enjoy working in groups
- You love narrative podcasts and good stories
- You’re a Pro Tools wizard — creating mixes to a variety of specs, organizing sessions, balancing levels between sfx, music and voices
- Experience with other DAWs – Ableton, Logic Pro, etc. – preferred but not required
- You’re great at repairing sound — from noisy field recordings to dodgy studio sessions
- You’re familiar with a variety of mastering, audio repair, and virtual instrument plug-ins, and you’re great at researching and learning new plug-ins
- You have no problem running a recording session by yourself, from nailing down the initial set-up to troubleshooting any sound/tech issues that may arise during recording
- You have lots of opinions about gear but also know that sometimes the $350 mic is the best one for the job
Composing / sound design:
- You compose and record your own original music
- You have experience mixing and mastering other musician’s music
- You have an ear for rhythm and pacing, and you can identify when adding or removing a pause or two will turn a good moment into a great one
- You have experience taking flat sounding SFX and enhancing them with plug-ins to make them sound fresh and exciting
- You can recognize when scoring and sound design enhance a story, and when it gets in the way
But really, the most important thing is your ambition and attitude — we’re a talented and motivated group looking for a new person to join our core team. So even if you don’t check all the above boxes, if you feel like you can step up and bring it, please apply.
Job title: Sound designer
Salary range: 55k-75k (commensurate with experience).
Full benefits: health, dental, vision, 401k, generous vacation policy
Location: Los Angeles-area preferred (post-pandemic this job will be located in Los Angeles)
To apply: send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject: “Sound designer / engineer position” Include audio samples of your work, details about what role you played in the production, and how you did what you did.
Application deadline: Monday, November 16, 2020.
Western Sound puts diversity at the core of our business: our employees’ diverse backgrounds, orientations, histories, and cultures make our shows better, more interesting and more successful.
Western Sound is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law.