Western Sound, an audio production company based in downtown Los Angeles, is hiring an experienced bilingual (Korean & English) reporter. We’re investigating a crime that took place in Koreatown, one of Los Angeles’s least understood neighborhoods.
This is a flexible position — could be a staff position (with benefits) or a contract — depending on the successful applicant’s skills and needs. It’s located in our downtown LA offices. Women and journalists of color are especially encouraged to apply.
This reporter will work with an experienced audio producer to investigate a crime and get to the bottom of some really fishy stuff. You’ll take listeners into the secret world of Koreatown while investigating people who don’t want to be investigated, and, we suspect, implicate organized crime in your reporting.
We need a reporter who is very organized, doggedly persistent, fearless and charismatic. This position will mostly likely involve international travel.
The successful applicant for this position will have all of these skills:
- 3+ years reporting experience
- Fluency in spoken Korean and English (though not necessarily written Korean)
- Long-form experience in print, video/film, and/or audio
- Experience reporting hard-to-get stories and/or successfully pursuing hard-to-reach people
- Very detail-oriented, from how you make your stories to filling-in all required paperwork and compiling wrap books
We’re also hoping for some / all of the following skills, but these aren’t mandatory:
- Experience making audio or video/film documentaries
- Knowledge of and experience reporting in Los Angeles’s Koreatown neighborhood
- Experience in California (and elsewhere) reporting law and order stories, investigating court cases & crimes, working within (and around) justice & prison systems
- Very good at technologies, including internets, spreadsheets, socials, etc.
Job title: Investigative reporter
Salary range: 50k – 120k (commensurate with experience and commitment)
Location: Western Sound HQ in downtown Los Angeles
To apply: send your resume, a cover letter addressing your skills and qualification in reference to those listed above, and representative work samples (print, audio, video) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Western Sound puts diversity at the core of our business: our employee’s diverse backgrounds, orientations, histories, and cultures make our shows better, more interesting and more successful.
Western Sound is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law.